Saturday, October 22, 2011

Follow that recipe!

I did it again. Or should I say I DIDN'T do it again. If you'll recall from my last post, I sometimes don't read recipes all the way through. In fact, quite frequently I just read the ingredients and figure I know how to put it all together.

It sometimes leads to some odd results.

Yesterday I was hungry for chocolate. I am doing fairly good with the Weight Watchers (aside from the Noodles & Co. I ate for supper last night....), so I knew making the German Chocolate Cake mix as directed probably wasn't a good idea. Luckily, I follow SkinnyTaste and she's got a solution for everything bad for you. I found this recipe for cupcakes for 2 Points Plus per cupcake. You can't go wrong there, right


SkinnyTaste's 2 Point Cupcakes
Ingredients:

  • 18.25 oz Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
  • 1.4 oz sugar free, fat free, instant chocolate pudding
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 1/3 cups water
For the chocolate glaze:
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2-1 tbsp 1% milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.

Combine pumpkin puree and water in a large bowl; mix to combine. Add chocolate pudding mix and mix well.

Add chocolate cake mix and beat 2 minutes.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake about 25 - 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.

For the glaze: combine all dry ingredients, add vanilla and 1/2 tbsp milk, adding more 1/4 tsp at a time if needed until smooth.
Add to a piping bag or use a zip lock bag and cut the corner off, drizzle onto cooled cupcakes.

For your convenience, I bolded the part of the recipe that is apparently the key to delicious looking cupcakes... aka the part I did not follow. I should point out that I have no one to blame for my non-following ways but myself. Seriously. SkinnyTaste even has step-by-step PHOTOS showing you what to do. Oh dear. I need to pay more attention.

So, what I did was dump, stir, fill, bake. This is how they turned out:
Lumpy, bumpy, globs

This ishow they were SUPPOSED to turn out:


Shiny, moist, perfection

Mine taste great, but they just look ugly. I was going to take some to the neighbors, but I'm too embarrased. So I'll probably eat them all. It's only 48 Points to eat all 24 of them......

(And no, these aren't for babies, but I had a friend request I blog about my mis-adventure of the cupcakes. Sigh.)

1 comment:

  1. Half of my recipes turn out ugly but taste great! No worries!

    ReplyDelete