Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Midwestern Classic

Yes, I live in Minnesota. Yes, I say things like "Uff Da" and "Yah." And yes, I eat hotdish. It's so delicious and hearty and quite the treat every now and then. I like many kinds of hotdish - but nothing beats a good old-fashioned Tater Tot Hotdish. I don't make this nearly enough, probably because I could eat the whole pan myself! However, now that I think about it, I've made Tater Tot Hotdish more times since the babies have been born since I did for the prior 5 years before that. Must me the mother in me coming out - I want to comfort my family.

Anyway, there's no real recipe for Tater Tot Hodish and everyone's family makes it a bit differently. In fact, I make it a bit differently every time I make it. There are basics you need, though - beef (or ground turkey, which is equally good), some sort of cream of ______ soup, vegetables, and of course, tater tots. If you're living on the wild side, you can add sour cream and shredded cheese. What's not to love?

Here's the "recipe" I followed earlier this week. It was delicious.

Look at how straight those rows of tater tots are!
Tater Tot Hotdish

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/4 cup (or so) plain yogurt or sour cream
2 cups shredded cheese (I used reduced fat cheddar)
Nearly a whole bag of Tater Tots

Method
Brown ground beef and onions in a skillet. Drain off any excess fat. Add the vegetables and cook until veges are warm. Add cream of chicken soup and mix, then add enough yogurt so the mixture has sufficient liquid in it. Spread in the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan (first sprayed with Pam). Top with shredded cheese, then Tater Tots. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until the tots are done to your liking (I like mine crispy, so I bake it a bit longer). Enjoy! Or freeze covered for up to 3 months. But it won't last that long! :)


Why is this recipe in the baby blog, you ask? Well, they are also Midwestern and LOVED it!


She needed the big spoon to shovel it in she loved it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment